The Best Brightening Skincare For Christmas Party Skin Prep
Festive party season is upon us but is your skin good to glow? Dull, dehydrated skin is common in December but the good news is that there are easy ways to get that instant party glow at home...
A radiant complexion can be achieved by adding brightening skincare ingredients to your regime and making a few tweaks to the way you look after your skin. After all, luminous skin never goes out of style and make-up sits so much better on healthy, glowing, party-ready skin. Take into account that there is no overnight product that will give you an effective glow instantly, so make sure that you start your Christmas Party skin prep sooner rather than later.
What causes dull skin?
- Dead skin cells: The primary cause of dull skin, which can feel rough or bumpy to the touch, is a build-up of dead skin cells, which prevent the skin from reflecting light and can give your face an ashy look.
- Pollution: Dirt and sulphur dioxide in the air create free radicals which damage collagen and stimulate pigment production.
- Central heating, extreme weather conditions and not drinking enough water can decrease the amount of moisture below your skin’s surface and prevent it from looking plump and bright.
- Stress: When the fight or flight response is activated, blood flow moves away from the face and can leave it looking tired and drawn.
- Lack of sleep: Skin renews and repairs itself while you slumber, and fatigue can become very visible on the face.
- Not removing your make-up: By forgoing removing your make-up before bed, you prevent your skin cells from renewing.
How can you get an instant party glow at home?
- Cleanse: Party skin isn’t possible without a solid cleansing routine with skin brightening products that not only get rid of dirt, but that also inject glow-inducing ingredients. Double cleanse morning and night, and always remove make-up before you go to bed.
- Moisturise: Dryness is one of the most common reasons for a dull complexion as it creates cracks in the skin’s surface and causes dead skin cells to build up. For radiant, party-ready skin, moisturise twice a day, use hydrating face masks regularly, and opt for a specific skin brightening serum or illuminating cream moisturiser.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating a few times a week is a crucial part of any brightening skincare regime, yet research has shown that over half of women skip this step. The process removes dead skin cells, allowing new cells to come to the surface of the skin. Exfoliating is essential for skin brightening and the key to perfect party skin.
What are the best brightening skincare ingredients?
- Vitamin C: Has a high antioxidant content and keeps skin bright by blocking pigment production and preventing inflammation.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Helps to retain moisture better than any other ingredient, resulting in smoother, volumised, and brighter looking skin.
- Glycolic Acid: Works to break down dead skin cells and consequently speed up cell turnover.
- Niacinamide: One of the most effective skin brightening ingredients; essential for anyone wanting to get that instant party glow at home.
- Retinol: Particularly effective at combating hyperpigmentation, triggering cell regeneration, and fading marks and scars.
- Lactic Acid: Works in a similar way to glycolic acid but has larger molecules that don’t penetrate as deeply, meaning it is less likely to irritate sensitive skin.
- Azelaic Acid: A natural skin brightener that, very cleverly, targets only excess melanin, so won’t lighten healthy skin.
Tranexamic Acid: The perfect product to tackle skin discolouration such as hyperpigmentation, acne scarring, and melasma.
The best skin brightening products
If you’re looking to improve pigmentation and give your skin a lit-from-within appearance at the same time, you can’t go wrong with the Mesoestetic Melan Tran3x Daily Depigmenting Gel Cream, a skin brightening gel that contains tranexamic Acid, lactic acid, and niacinamide. The fast-absorbing, daily-use cream reduces the appearance of dark spots, leaving bright, glowing party skin.
If you're old-school and prefer a physical exfoliation, this one's for you. Transform a dull complexion into party-ready skin with Proto-col Microdermabrasion, a gentle brightening skincare product that contains both glycolic acid and lactic acid for chemical exfoliation, and pearl and diamond powder for physical exfoliation. With visible results after just one use, Proto-col Microdermabrasion is an instant glow treatment suitable for all skin types.
Get that instant party glow at home with Pestle and Mortar NMF Lactic Acid Natural Moisturising Factor Solution, a brilliant brightening skincare product that both hydrates the skin and enhances radiance. The leave-on lactic acid solution gets to work immediately, leaving you with a brightened, even-looking complexion; the perfect party skin.
4. Zelens Power C Vitamin C Concentrate
It's no secret that Vitamin C is a key player when it comes to giving your skin a brightening boost. This Vitamin C Concentrate by Zelens is rich in 20% highly stable vitamin C alongside other powerhouse ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid, Collagen and Aloe Vera for a super radiant complexion.
Cleanse, clarify and brighten the skin with Hydropeptide Clarifying Toner – Balance Control Pads, which contain brightening skincare ingredients like azelaic acid, lactic acid and niacinamide. The easy-to-use pads encourage cell turnover and even-out discolouration to reveal radiant, party ready skin.
Need some Christmas Gift inspiration? Discover our edit of all the best skincare gift sets to give the gift of glowing skin, the festive season.
Written by Sarah Blake.