I've recently been getting into the spring clean mode and have been having a clear out around the house. As a self-confessed make up junkie, the time finally came when I knew I had to go through my make up drawers and have a good old clear out. It's something I put off doing because I somehow feel attached to my products (Yes, I know, I'm sad), but the sheer amount of products I had that I either didn't use or could no longer use ridiculous.My long over due clear out got me to thinking, do we actually realise how much of a regular occurrence this should be? Products like lipsticks and eye shadow palettes seem to be never ending, which is brilliant when you've found a shade you can't live without, but time flies, and so does the expiry date.Not all products, particularly the ones in small, beautiful packaging, come included with expiry dates, but here is a rough guide as to how long you should hoard a product for
- Mascaras are good for around 2 months
- Liquid and gel eyeliners and shadows such be cleared out after 3 months
- Powder eye shadows will last you about 6 months
- It's around 6-12 months for liquid or cream foundations and blushers. This is also generally the case for serums/creams once they have been opened, but be sure to check individual products when it comes to skincare.
- Powder foundations, blushers and setting powders, lipsticks and nail polishes give you a bit longer to use, with an opened shelf life of 1-2 years.
Don't forget to regularly wash your make up brushes too! Think about the last time you cleaned your foundation brush. Now think about all the bacteria and grime that could build up in there in that time. Eww!This may not seem like very long, but the inside of your products will be warm and sometimes wet, which gives bacteria the perfect breading ground. In this time, it can spread by hundreds and thousands! As much as you may love your products, you don't want to be applying bacteria all over your skin, and especially around the eyes.So, if you haven't already, now is time for your beauty spring clean. If you need any more advice on product shelf life, call our skincare experts on 0113 282 3181.Written for you by:
Ellie, Face the Future